Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations mandate that a student receiving Federal Student Aid under Title IV programs must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in his/her course of study regardless of whether or not student aid is awarded each semester. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is measured with the following standards:

  • Qualitative (cumulative grade point average/GPA of 2.0 per semester)
  • Quantitative Percentage (students must earn credit for at least 67 percent of attempted credit hours to remain in good standing; grades of E , F and W count against the percentage)
  • Maximum Time Frame (maximum time frame of 150 percent of the credits for completion of student's program; grades of E, F, W, and audit, as well as transfer hours all count toward the maximum time frame calculation)

Suspension of Student Aid Due to Poor Grades

If a student is suspended from student aid because his/her cumulative grade point average (GPA) does not meet the minimum 2.0 GPA, he/she may take additional classes without student aid (unless the student is academically suspended) to raise his/her GPA and, if successful, may be reinstated. If a student is on academic probation or suspension, he/she will automatically be on student aid probation or suspension. If a student is reinstated from academic suspension by appeal or any means, he/she must appeal his/her student aid status separately to be considered for student aid reinstatement eligibility.

Appeal Process

If your financial aid is SUSPENDED you may file a Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Appeal to be considered for financial aid reinstatement based on extenuating circumstances that were a factor in not meeting SAP.

  • First, complete a FAFSA and your HCC financial aid file for the award year.
  • Complete the Online SAP Appeal Request, via your Student Self-Service account.
  • Specific instructions on how to complete this process are located directly on the online form. To prevent delays, please follow these instructions explicitly. Incomplete SAP Appeal Requests will have a delay in processing.
  • SAP Appeal approval or denial decisions will be posted to the Online SAP Appeal Request Confirmation screen in Self-Service. HCC Office of Financial Aid will not discuss appeal decisions over the phone.

Please note: You are responsible for payment arrangements pending an appeal decision. Aid for tuition is not guaranteed nor is a book charge available to you pending a decision. If you have questions about this process, the Go KCTCS Student Center is available to you all day, every day. Just call (855)22GO-HCC/(855)224-6422 or visit or email