Costs & Financial Aid FAQs


How many credit hours are required to receive aid?

Generally, students must be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours for undergraduate and graduate students) in required coursework to receive most types of aid including Stafford Loans. However, a student may receive a Pell Grant for less than half-time enrollment.

What are e-bills and how do they work?

The college does not mail an invoice or bill to you through the postal service. E-bills are the official student billing of the college. E-bills are e-mailed to your student account each Thursday following any activity on your account. For example, if you enroll or add a class on a Friday, you will receive your e-bill for that action the following Thursday. Prior to receiving the e-bill, however, you can look on PeopleSoft Self-Service to get your new balance due. PeopleSoft Self-Service is available 24/7 via the Internet. When you receive your e-bill you will see a list of your enrolled classes, the classes you have dropped, and your balance due.

How do I access my e-bill?

You must activate your student e-mail account to get your e-bill. Instructions for setting up your student e-mail/PeopleSoft Self-Service account can be found on the Admissions Checklist.

How can I pay my e-bill?

There are several options for payment. You can pay with cash, check, all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card, & American Express); or you may find that the FACTS tuition management payment plan is helpful because you can divide your payment into several payments, depending on when you apply for the plan. There is a payment deadline for each session, unless prior arrangements have been made at the Business Office. Payment options may vary, depending on the semester/session. Payments may be mailed to HCC and must reach the Business Office on or before the deadline. Credit card payments can be made by calling the Business Office; e-check and credit card payments can also be made on-line through the PeopleSoft Self-Service link.

What is the FACTS tuition management payment plan and how do I apply?

Currently, the payment plan is available for classes lasting 16 weeks; four and eight week courses must be paid in full by the tuition payment deadline date. To help you meet your educational expenses, Hopkinsville Community College is proud to offer FACTS (NBS Payment Plan) as a convenient budget plan. FACTS is not a loan program. You have no debt, there are no interest or finance charges assessed, and there is no credit check. The cost to budget your interest-free monthly payment plan is a $25.00 per semester non refundable FACTS Enrollment Fee. You may budget your tuition by Automatic Bank Payment (ACH) which requires a checking account, or your may use the credit card option. You can enroll in the payment plan online through PeopleSoft Self-Service, log in to your People Soft account, choose make a payment under Campus Finances, select payment plan-NBS in the pay by drop down box, and follow prompts for appropriate down payment. All down payments are processed immediately. Payments are processed on the 20th of each month and will continue until the balance is paid in full.

Can I receive a paper bill to give to my employer, parent or sponsor if they are paying my bill?

When you receive your e-bill you will want to save it so you can print it out or forward it to whoever you may wish to receive the bill. You can also print out your balance information using the PeopleSoft Self-Service option. Due to FERPA laws the college cannot disclose any account information to anyone other than the student without written consent from the student.

What happens if I don't pay my e-bill?

If the balance due has not been paid or suitable payment arrangements made by the deadline set for the class session, your name MAY be removed from the roster. Should this be the case, you will need to re-enroll and pay the balance due in full at that time. If re-enrollment is being attempted after the deadline to enter a course, approval from the Dean of Students must be obtained prior to re-enrolling. If you do not attend the first week of class you may be dropped from your class as a considered "no show" and you will no longer be eligible for aid. However, non-attendance does not relieve a student of his/her financial obligation! If you have enrolled in a class you do not wish to take, you must officially withdraw from the course. Charges may be adjusted on your account, depending on the date of the withdrawal. If you enroll in a class during a refund period for that class session and later drop (after the refund period), you will be charged the fee associated with the enrollment action.

What happens if I have a financial obligation to the college that I don't pay?

Any student, who is delinquent in financial obligations to a college, or any division or organization of a college, shall not be allowed to register for future terms, receive transcripts, transfer credits to another institution, or graduate. Delinquent accounts are subject to 30, 60, 90 day late fee notices of which after 90 days if the account is not paid in full the account is turned over to the Kentucky Department of Revenue. Note: Referred accounts are subject to collection charges in addition to the amount owed the college and are the responsibility of the delinquent party. The delinquency, if referred to the Kentucky Department of Revenue, is also subject to being listed with credit reporting agencies. Specific questions may be directed to the Business Office.

If I drop a class, will I receive a refund?

In order to receive a tuition refund, a student must officially withdraw within the refund period, per HCC's refund policy. Refunds for sessions different from those listed below are prorated according to the session in proportion to the traditional 16-week session. A session is defined as an enrollment period within an academic term. An academic term (Fall, Spring or Summer) may have a number of sessions running concurrently (16, 8 or 4 week sessions).

Time frame for Tuition Refunds*




No Refund


Within 7th day

8th-29th days

After 29th day


Within 4th day

5th-15th days

After 15th day


Within 3rd day

4th-11th days

After 11th day


Within 1st day

2nd-7th days

After 7th day

*Calendar days of the session, including all Saturdays and Sundays, but excluding KCTCS recognized holidays. Refunds are prepared each Wednesday evening at KCTCS and a refund file sent to the college refund processor Higher One who processes the refund the next day to your chosen refund method. See Easy Refund KCTCS Higher One Debit Card for more details.

How can I apply for financial aid?

First, students and parents need to apply for a FSA ID . Next, complete the FAFSA using your tax documents and sign it electronically using your FSA ID.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Your eligibility for financial aid is determined by completing the FAFSA.

Should I apply for aid even though I probably will not qualify?

Yes. The application is free and some sources of aid (unsubsidized Stafford loan and some types of scholarships) are available regardless of need.

How do I know if Im a dependent or independent?

Your dependency status is determined based on your answers to dependency questions on the FAFSA. If you answer yes to any one of these questions, you may be considered an independent student. If you answer no to all of these questions, you are considered dependent and be required to supply parent information.

I have to wait until I am admitted before I apply for financial aid?

No. Students do not have to be admitted to Hopkinsville Community College in order to complete the FAFSA.

My FAFSA was rejected because it is missing a signature. What do I do?

The FAFSA is signed by using your FSA ID number assigned to you by the Department of Education. Once you have your FSA ID, return to the FAFSA website and electronically sign your FAFSA. Parents must sign the FAFSA of dependent students using the same process with their own FSA ID number.

How do I update my FAFSA to include HCC as a school choice?

Go to the FAFSA website and click on "Add or delete a school code" under "FAFSA Follow-up". Use your U.S. Department of Education FSA ID to submit a new school code. The school code for Hopkinsville Community College is 001994.

What happens after I submit my FAFSA?

If you apply online, your application will be processed in 10-14 days. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) via the e-mail account you provided on your financial aid application stating your eligibility to receive financial aid. If you apply by mail, it will take about four weeks. Unless any problems arise, you will get a Student Aid Report in the mail stating if you are eligible to receive financial aid for the year. Please review your SAR carefully to check for errors or other required documentation needed to complete your financial aid process.

How many credit hours must I be enrolled in order to receive a Pell grant?

Students receive their Pell grant award based on the number of credits hours taken each semester. Students in less than 12 credit hours per semester will receive a reduced amount of Pell grant.

What is a Pell Grant?

The Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,815 for the 2016-2017 award year (July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017). The amount you get, though, depends on your financial need, your cost of attendance, your status as a full-time or part-time student, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. You may NOT receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

What is a CAP (College Access Program) Grant?

The CAP Grant is a need-based state funded grant, for Kentucky residents, that have a priority deadline of March 15. You may apply for Federal and State funds by completing the FAFSA online. No additional application is needed for the CAP grant.

What is the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)?

The FSEOG is a need-based grant. Students must have a zero Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Apply early as this award is very limited and awarded on a first come first serve basis.

Where can I find information about HCC scholarships?

Review our scholarship page for scholarship options and deadlines.

What is the difference between a Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loans?

For the need-based Subsidized Stafford Loan , the federal government pays the interest while you are enrolled at least half-time (six semester hours). However, for the non need based Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, interest does accrue while the student is enrolled and must be paid by the student upon graduation or ceasing enrollment of half time status. Both types of Stafford loans have an interest rate that is capped at 8.25% Repayment begins six months after you graduate or you cease to be enrolled at least half-time (six semester hours).

How and when do receive the remainder of my financial aid after my tuition and book charges (if any) are paid?

The financial aid section on your PeopleSoft Self-Service account will show anticipated full-time aid up through the last day to enter a course (census date). If you are enrolled in anything less than full-time, your anticipated aid will then be adjusted. Financial aid will be disbursed through KCTCS using an integrated software system for all community and technical colleges in Kentucky. When your financial aid award is posted to your account, your tuition, fees & any applicable book charges will be deducted. If your award exceeds your direct school cost, funds will be sent to you approximately the fifth week of classes via the standard refund process. It is very important that you check to make sure your address on file is correct in order to receive your Higher One/KCTCS Debit Card timely. This card is your ticket to make your refund preference through Higher One. Your address of record can be checked through PeopleSoft Self-Service.

I have financial aid at another school, but I want to transfer to HCC. Can I transfer my aid?

Yes, you will need to make sure HCC school code (001994) is added to your FAFSA. The financial aid office will determine your eligibility for Pell, CAP, and KEES once your FAFSA is received. Loans are non transferable and a loan application must be completed to apply for student loan at HCC.

Where can I get financial aid forms?

You may access forms online or by visiting either of our campus locations.

I was selected for verification. What is that and what do I have to do?

Approximately thirty percent of the student population that applies for student aid is randomly selected for the verification process. It is the federal government's way of making sure students are correctly reporting their information on the FAFSA. If your FAFSA was selected, participation in the verification process is not optional and must occur before receiving federal student financial aid. You must follow these Verification Instructions to obtain your specific verification worksheet. You may have a worksheet different than your friends. Further, you must submit to the Student Financial Aid Office at Hopkinsville or Ft. Campbell the required documentation along with your worksheet at the same time so they can verify the information on your FAFSA. Do not send verification documentation to Hopkinsville Community College unless you have been selected and only send in verification documentation that is requested.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Federal regulations mandate that a student receiving financial aid under Title IV programs must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in his/her course of study regardless of whether or not financial aid is awarded each semester. To receive and to continue to receive financial aid, you must:

  • Earn (pass) 67% of all credits you attempt in every term
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA at the end of every term
  • Have attempted fewer than 150% of the credits required for your program of study

Is there a way to appeal SAP?

If a student is placed on financial aid suspension and has unusual circumstances (illness, death in the family, accidents, etc.) that were a factor in not meeting satisfactory academic progress, he or she has the right to submit an appeal by using the appeal link located on the student self service account . Appeals are reviewed by the Appeals Committee and all decisions are final.

If I withdraw from school, will I have to repay the financial aid?

When a recipient of Title IV funds (Loan, Pell, FSEOG, or ACG) withdraws from a school or stops attending before 60% of the term, the school must determine the amount of Title IV aid the student has earned as of the students withdrawal date. Students should always contact the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from a class to see how this might affect their financial aid. Visit Withdrawing from School/Non-Attendance for more information.

Im a veteran. Do veterans get any special benefits?

Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits are designated to provide eligible individuals with an opportunity for educational and career growth. It is certainly one of the most valuable benefits afforded to veterans and qualified dependents and should be wisely utilized. Veterans have earned the right to use their educational benefits for the purpose it was intended for, and we at HCC are both pleased and honored to assist you in utilizing it to your best advantage. We welcome you to our campus and hope you will significantly benefit through your studies. Please fill out the online application to determine your eligibility for VA Benefits. For more information visit Veterans Services on this website.