What types of scholarships are available?
If you have a strong academic record or special talent, you may qualify for a scholarship. Scholarships are typically awarded for achievement or merit, and they come from the College, as well as the government, individuals, and private organizations. A few options:
- Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES). This state program awards scholarships to Kentucky students who earn a 2.5 GPA or higher in high school.
- Hopkinsville Community College Academic Scholarship. We provide a variety of institutional (college) scholarships based on academic performance, academic program as well as donor-requested criteria (such as single parents, GED recipients, agricultural technology/education/communications majors).The scholarship committee works to match applicants to the appropriate scholarship and then makes awards. We strongly encourage you to apply for other external scholarships as well. Check with your high school guidance counselor for opportunities. To be considered for one of HCC's Academic Scholarships,complete and submit a HCC Academic Scholarship application.
- The Hopkinsville Community College Foundation, Inc. manages the funding of an array of donor scholarships, including the Billy and Kathleen Burke Scholarship, the Carmichael Fels/William T. Williams Scholarship, the Billie Lee Cayce Nursing Scholarship, the Dr. Lyndon Goode Nursing and Allied Health Scholarship, the Pioneers Inc., Educational Scholarship, the Mary Spangler Kennedy Scholarship, the HCC Foundation General Endowment Scholarship and the Hopkinsville and Cadiz Rotary Scholarships.
- KCTCS Presidential Scholarship. The Presidential Scholarship goes to students in each of the Kentucky Community Technical and College System (KCTCS) schools who have outstanding academic performance and unmet financial need. To be considered for a KCTCS Presidential Scholarship,complete and submit an HCC Academic Scholarship application.
- KCTCS John T. Smith Scholarship. This fund supports minority students at KCTCS who maintain a 2.5 GPA, plan to attend a four-year institution and have unmet financial need. To be considered for a John T. Smith Scholarship,complete and submit an HCC Academic Scholarship application.
- KCTCS Commonwealth Scholarship. Kentucky residents who are valedictorians, salutatorians, or members of the upper 10 percent of their high school graduating class are eligible for this award. To be considered for a KCTCS Commonwealth Scholarship,complete and submit an HCC Academic Scholarship application.
- State-mandated scholarships, waivers and other help. KCTCS offers automatic scholarships to faculty and staff, the elderly, dependents of deceased Kentucky firefighters and veterans, and other groups. Many other programs are available from a variety of sources.
- The HCC Foundation Inc. accepts applications for textbook scholarships based on financial need and academic promise. To be considered for an HCC Foundation Textbook Scholarship, complete and submit an application Textbook Scholarship. Textbook scholarships applications are accepted each semester, and must be reapplied for each semester. Currently $500 per semester for books is awarded to successful applicants.
- KCTCS Workforce Development/Transfer Scholarship. This scholarship is designed to reward 1st year students for strong performance and to incent returning students for a second year or for 2nd year students to transfer to a four-year institution. The scholarship provides awards to eligible 1st year students for two consecutive academic years. Students must enter KCTCS in good academic standing and must maintain a grade point average that is reasonable to promote student academic success and transfer. Recipients must plan to earn an associate degrees (AA, AS, or AAS) at KCTCS and to transfer to an accredited Kentucky public or independent four-year institution. To be considered for a KCTCS Workforce Development/Transfer Scholarship, complete thisapplication.
In addition to thoroughly and completely filling out appropriate academic and textbook scholarship applications,there are additional requirements to be considered for scholarships:
- Submit, or have on file, an application for admission to Hopkinsville Community College.
- Determine with the college's financial aid office eligibility of need-based aid.
- Take the American College Test (ACT) and submit the scores to HCC's admissions office. Attach a photocopy to the application.
- Submit a copy of your high school transcript(s) and college transcript(s) if applicable. Official copies must be submitted to the admissions office and a photocopy must be included with the scholarship application.
- Have the appropriate school official complete the last part of the application (applicable for high school students only).
Academic and Textbook Scholarship Applications Contact:
Local/Regional Scholarship Programs
- Hopkinsville Rotary Club Scholarship
- Trigg County Rotary Club Scholarship
- Austin Peay State University Transfer Scholarships
- Murray State University KCTCS Academic Transfer Scholarship
- University of Kentucky KCTCS Academic Transfer Scholarship
- University of Louisville KCTCS Academic Transfer Scholarship
- Kentucky Business Society Scholarship
- Pennyrile Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation
- Marion Watson Practical Nursing Scholarship
- Hopkinsville Business and Professional Women's Club Scholarship deadline May 9, 2016
- Coursey Enterprises Nursing Scholarship
Outside Resource for Scholarships
Fisher House Foundation offers scholarships for children of fallen or disabled service members.
Women's Retail Network offers scholarships for female students interested in Automotive Retail dealership careers
www.blackexcel.org/200-Scholarships.html200 Scholarships for Minorities
www.thanksusa.org/scholarship-program.html more than 3000 scholarships for dependents & spouses of U.S. military service personnel
http://www.onlinecolleges.net/for-students/scholarships-for-women scholarships for women
http://www.onlinecolleges.net/for-students/financial-aid-minorities/scholarships for minorities
http://www.onlinecolleges.net/for-students/financial-aid-hispanic-students/scholarships for Hispanic students
Women in Computer Science scholarships
www.maldef.orgoffers scholarship resources for immigrants and undocumented students
Mass Mutual Scholars Program scholarship for sophomores interested in pursuing careers in the insurance and financial services industry. deadline March 31st.
Stratton/Tipton Scholarship awarded to high school senior and one currently enrolled student pursuing a degree, diploma or certificate in the field of Career & Technical education from any post-secondary institution in Kentucky. deadline April 30th.
SR Education Group education publisher scholarship contests
Bloom Times Scholarship Program merit based $1500 scholarship for Engineering and Science students.
STEM Scholarship $1000 academic scholarship for students pursuing undergraduate degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics disciplines.
Abbott and Fenner Scholarship$1000 scholarship,deadline June 10,all programs are eligible