Admissions FAQ


When should I complete the application?

You should apply as soon as possible before the semester you plan to attend. Applying early will allow you the time you need to complete the placement assessment, submit your ACT scores (if needed), and submit your high school and/or college transcripts.

How late can I apply?

Using our online application, you may apply as late as when classes begin. You are encouraged to apply early whenever possible so you have the opportunity to work with our helpful advisors and staff as you begin your academic journey at Hopkinsville Community College. In addition, if you apply early, you will have a better selection of classes available to you.

When will I know if I'm accepted?

Once you have applied, you have already been accepted. We believe anyone who wishes to attend should have the opportunity to do so. Your admission status will be listed as Conditional until you have submitted all of the necessary items needed to complete your file. In some cases, you may be asked to wait to register for classes until your records are cleared at another college or university if you are on suspension or probation.

What degrees, diplomas, and certificate programs do you offer?

We offer a wide array of programs leading to associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates.

What is the difference between "enrolling" and "registering"?

Once you have completed the admissions process, you have enrolled in Hopkinsville Community College. Registering is the process of requesting your classes each semester.

How will I know which classes to take?

Our academic advisors will help you begin the process of planning your journey based on your previous education, career, and personal goals.

Can I talk with an advisor?

Absolutely. You can discuss career plans, course selection, program or degree requirements, transfer requirements, and other academic and social issues. If you would like to attend the Hopkinsville campus, visit or contact our Advising Center. If you would like to attend the Fort Campbell campus, visit the Glenn H. English, Jr. Army Education Center or call (270) 707-3810 to request an appointment with an advisor.

Will I get my own advisor?

Yes! Every student at the college has an advisor. You may view your assigned advisor in your student self-service, which also has the contact information for your convenience.

What if my file is incomplete?

You may view your To Do List in the student self-servicein the upper-right hand corner of your student center. Your To Do List may change at any time, so be sure to check it frequently. Its not uncommon for students to enroll initially without submitting all required records. However, if you're a transfer student, you'll need to complete your file in order to be eligible for financial aid.

Am I required to declare a major when I submit my application?

Short answer: no. You don't need to declare a major immediately. If you do, however, well select an advisor for you based on your academic interest. Declaring a major will also make you eligible for financial aid. If you don't choose a major when you apply, or if you change your major after admission, please contact the Admissions & Records Office.

What is offered at the Fort Campbell campus and who can attend?

The Fort Campbell campus is a thriving extended campus of Hopkinsville Community College located in the Glenn H. English Army Education Center on post at Fort Campbell, KY inside Gate 4. Fort Campbell offers a full schedule of courses similar to the ones offered on the Hopkinsville campus and is open to the public. Many of the technical programs, such as our Nursing programs are offered at the Hopkinsville campus but many students complete the general education courses needed at the Fort Campbell campus.

What is a Letter of Good Standing?

If you are a visiting student from another college and would like to take classes with us, you will need to have permission from your home college. It is not necessary to submit a letter of good standing, but you will need to provide a letter from your college stating that you are able to take classes with Hopkinsville and that they will accept our classes.

What is a MAP and how do I get one?

A MAP is your academic road map to complete your education at Hopkinsville Community College. You can meet with your assigned advisor to develop your MAP and discuss your academic goals. You can view who your advisor is through your student self-service.

What kind of financial aid is available to me?

We participate in a full range of financial aid programs. Applying may seem overwhelming, but our staff is trained to assist you and answer your questions. Apply for financial aid now.