Veterans Services

Hopkinsville Community College is approved by the state of Kentucky as a training facility for veterans applying for VA educational benefits. The HCC Office of Veterans Services provides service to over 500 students attending the college. Additionally, Hopkinsville Community College maintains a Student Veterans Organization (SVO).

Contact for Assistance

Office: English Army Education Center, Room 231C, 202 Bastogne Avenue, Fort Campbell, Kentucky 42223
Phone: 270) 707-3952

Office: Hopkinsville Campus, Technology Building, Room 204, 720 North Drive, Hopkinsville, Kentucky 42240
Phone: 270) 707-3807

VA Benefits Programs

The following VA benefit programs are in place at Hopkinsville Community College: 

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill (active duty or veteran status)

  • Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 30 (active duty or veteran status) must have served in the United States Armed Forces and participated in the GI Bill program. In most instances, veterans must also have been honorably discharged. Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the HCC School Certifying Official upon enrollment at the college.

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation (service-connected disabled veterans)

  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation / Chapter 31 (service-connected disabled veterans) must make application with a local VA caseworker to have rehabilitation plan developed indicating an HCC degree plan. The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility, VA Form 1905 (generated by the vocational rehabilitation counselor), to the HCC School Certifying Official upon enrollment at the college.

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill became effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the HCC School Certifying Official upon enrollment at the college. Certified veterans using Post 9-11 Chapter 33 benefits may defer payment until the tuition benefit is received by the college or until the end of the semester, whichever comes first. Post 9-11 Chapter 33 and grant/loans are posted to the veteran's student account in the order the funds are received by the college. See Post 9-11 Payment Policies for details.

Chapter 35 Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans)

  • Survivor's and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans) / Chapter 35 must complete Form 22-5490 (application) and submit to the Department of Veteran Affair. Once the benefit is established, the VA will issue a certificate of eligibility to the dependent/spouse. The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the HCC School Certifying Official upon enrollment at the college.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill (selected guard and reserves)

  • Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 1606 (selected guard and reserves) must have completed all initial entry training (IET) and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or a Kentucky/Tennessee National Guard Unit. Please submit a copy of your DD 214 Form and NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility, obtained from your unit education officer).Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the HCC School Certifying Official upon enrollment at the college.

Chapter 1607 Reservists Call to Active Duty (REAP)

  • Montgomery GI Bill / Chapter 1607 (REAP) must have been called to active duty under federal authority for a contingency operation as determined by Congress or the President. Veterans must have served on active duty in a contingency operation for at least 90 continuous days after September 11, 2001. You must remain within your component to use benefits. Veterans must complete Form 22-1990 at

VA Work Study Program

Some VA students are eligible to apply for VA work study positions. HCC offers a number of customer service work study positions in the academic affairs and student services departments. Additional VA work study information is available from the Veterans Services offices at both campuses.

Eligibility for VA Educational Benefits

Eligibility for VA educational benefits are determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs in St. Louis, Missouri. Forms may be obtained online at Students eligible to receive VA educational benefits must submit a copy of their schedule to the college's VA Coordinator. Any change in your program or schedule must be promptly reported. The student must provide a copy of the certificate of eligibility to the HCC School Certifying Official upon enrollment at the college.

Getting Started

After gaining admission to Hopkinsville Community College, students should go online to to begin the process of applying for VA benefits. If you are a veteran transferring from another school, you must fill out Form 22-1995 "Change of Program or Place of Training." If you are a family member or dependent, you must fill out Form 22-5495 "Change of Program or Place of Training." The following documents should be presented to the college's School Certifying Official when making application for VA benefits:

  • DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
  • Kicker/Buy Up documentation
  • College Fund documentation
  • VA Certificate of Eligibility
  • Copy of current semester/term college class schedule

Veteran Students' Responsibilities

Tuition and Fee Payment:

Students are responsible for paying all college tuition and fees. HCC and the VA do not have an agreement to process tuition/fee waivers; therefore, failure of the VA to pay students in a timely manner does not eliminate or delay students' financial responsibility to the college. It normally takes the St. Louis VA processing center 6-8 weeks to process new education claims, so please plan accordingly.

Academic Progress and Enrollment:

Veteran students at HCC have ongoing responsibilities to the VA. The HCC School Certifying Official closely monitors each student's enrollment status and academic program. The student's entitlement is based on the number of credit hours for which they are enrolled. Current pay rates can be viewed on the GI Bill website

Veteran students at HCC must do the following to ensure continued benefits:

  1. Notify HCC's School Certifying Official every term enrolled in which VA benefits are expected by submitting a new schedule each semester.
  2. Complete an academic plan with an academic advisor and return to the School Certifying Official with a copy of a current class schedule.
  3. Notify the School Certifying Official if you:
    • change your degree program
    • change your schedule / add or drop (notification required within two days)
    • withdraw completely (notification required within 24 hours)
    • change your address

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 Monthly Verification

All students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 benefits must verify their monthly enrollment on the last day of each month or after. The benefit (monetary award) will not be released by the VA until this is done. Enrollment verification can be accomplished by using the VA toll-free telephone number 1-877-823-2378 or the WAVE feature found on the VA website

Kentucky Tuition Waiver Program

The Kentucky Tuition Waiver Program is an educational benefit provided for children, step-children, adopted children, spouses, and un-remarried widows and widowers in recognition of military service of certain disabled or deceased Kentucky veterans. Additional information about this program and the application process is available at Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs or by contacting the HCC SCO at either campus.

Credit for Prior Training and Experience

HCC is required to evaluate prior educational training and experience. This includes military training and experience received while on active duty and any coursework taken at educational institutions even if the coursework was not paid for with VA benefits.

Military credit / transcripts can be obtained from the following locations: